See the FAQ for more information about the game, or click the button above to start your adventure now!
Welcome to Adventure!
Avendar is a 100% free, multi-user fantasy RPG experience. As you represent a character progressing from a youthful adventurer to a world power, you can explore the second-to-none original fantasy world setting, advance in the intricate class system, experience intense player vs. player action, and forge friendships and rivalries that will become legend!
Avendar has been open for play since 1998, with ongoing developments and improvements that make it distinct from any other RPG. We have a small but dedicated community and staff, and we welcome you to join us and begin your adventure today.
- Currently in Avendar: There are 2 characters (avg. level 34) adventuring now.
- Most recent advancement: Relan has reached level 18 in his guild.
- Most recent death: Dheamos has died recently.
- A recent rumor: There's a new assassin, a young human assassin, who just graduated from the School of Heroes. They call him Relan.
23 November 2013
- Life Bolt now has a mana cost
- Discern Iniquity should improve more slowly now
- Chant Litany should improve more slowly now
- Certain mobs involved in Golden Flames quests should now speak arcane rather than their racial language
- Invocation of Converu's cooldown was increased slightly
- The bonuses from Attune Fount were decreased slightly and spread out over a slightly larger number of founts
- Quintessence rush mana drain was increased
- Absolve spirit's mana restoration was decreased
- Fugue's cooldown was reduced slightly
- Molten shield now fires less often but for more damage
- Aegis of Grace's damage reduction was reduced slightly
- Fixed a bug which was causing spirit scholar foci to improve faster than intended
- Fixed a crashing bug with the sweep skill
- Fixed a bug preventing avatars of the lodestar from yelling
- Fire templars now get the warmth skill
- Characters now see effect details from level 1, rather than starting at level 20
- Word of Recall now requires some time to take effect; see help WORD OF RECALL for details
9 November 2013
- Fixed miscellaneous typos, bugs with deflection and breaking psionicist maledictions, and bugs with heart of inferno and smoke
- Adjusted request so that it no longer hurts your karma (it still spends request points accrued from good behavior)
- Sleep regeneration rates were adjusted. See help POSITIONS for more info
- Adjusted various fire spells: resistances with flameheart and aspect of inferno were adjusted and aspect of the inferno had several other changes. Blaze, conflagration, and blazing inferno do more damage but no longer stack damage.
- The Weave has been formalized into a true mechanic; see help WEAVE for more
- Various shades, wraiths, ghosts, and phantoms now roam the earth, mostly invisibly but with occasional interactions with mortals.
- Minor and Major spirit spell sets have been adjusted significantly--some old spells were lost, some new spells were added, and most spells were adjusted. See their helpfiles for more info.
- The above change also spills over to the spells that spirit scholars and spirit templars share. Some templar spells were also renamed. See the class webpage to view changes.
- Greater spirit has been divided into three paths: Weavedancer, Silver Light, and Eternal Dawn. Each has new skills and spells.
- Dual sphere spirit scholars now receive additional spells.
- See the class webpages, the rationale post on the forums, and the various helpfiles for all the details on the above.
16 September 2013
- Helpfiles with quotes in them (e.g., martyr's fire) should no longer be problematic
- Furniture (such as bedrolls) marked 'warm' should now help protect against the cold
- Fixed an alchemist crash bug
- Normalized the environmental damage numbers, which were skewed heavily towards cold. Temperate zones like Var Bandor should see less cold damage now.
- 'warm' items can now help cause you to overheat -- don't put on three fur coats in the Crimson Sands!
- Fixed a bug which had caused command weather to have an essentially random effect (and frequently no effect at all)
- Fixed a bug which was causing guildmasters to 'forget' skills which had apostrophes in them between reboots
- Changed 'practice' to not use quotes for multi-word skills. Note that using quotes won't work, excepting any quotes in the skill name itself. Example 1: use [practice shiyul's fury] now, rather than [practice "shiyul's fury"]. Example 2: [practice third attack], NOT [practice 'third attack']
- Fixed a bug which caused fire scholars to not get re-titled immediately upon choosing a path, if a different title applied for the given path and level
7 September 2013
- Upgraded armor and shield to scale according to level
- Fixed a bug which had broken weather damage. Players should start getting affected by extreme cold/heat/storms again
- Made the 'info' command unavailable to players
- Changed the 'where' command to not show the person using it, and tweaked the wording slightly
- Made 'convert' at banks take an optional argument for the coin type to convert to
- The level at which fire skills/spells are attained was adjusted
- Minor fire no longer receives: flame shield, baptism of fire, wings of flame, burning hands, parch, scorch, fire blast, smolder, pyrotechnics, teleport
- Minor fire now receives: warmth, fireball, flare, temper, wall of fire
- Major fire no longer receives: wall of fire, flare, incineration, flame tongue, delayed blast fireball, fireball, firestorm, heat metal
- Major fire now receives: shiyul's fury, lambent aura, baptism of fire, firekin, pyrotechnic artistry, wings of flame, cinder scry, seal of the golden flames
- Greater fire has been split into three paths, chosen after a certain level
- The Path of the Golden Flame receives: bloodpyre, heart of the inferno, mindkindle, living flame, firestorm
- The Path of the Raging Inferno receives: phoenix dirge, disintegration, blazing inferno, rain of fire, implosion, living flame, heartfire, brimstone ward, firestorm
- The Path of the Flameheart receives: flameheart, mindkindle, cloak of embers, aspect of the inferno, living flame, infernal dance, conflagration, brimstone ward, wrath of an'akarta
- Major fire / minor water now receives: thermal mastery, martyr's fire, sauna, boil blood
- Major fire / minor air now receives: burning wisp, heatwave, pyrokinetic mirror
- Major fire / minor earth now receives: geothermics, molten shield, summon lava elemental, harrudim fire
- Major fire / minor void now receives: chillfire shield, nightflame lash, ashes of logor
- Major fire / minor spirit now receives: holy flame, soulfire shield, oriflamme
- Damage from disintegration and implosion have been slightly reduced
- Immolation, rune of fire, and consume now have additional functionality. Consult their helpfiles for more information
- Damage from wall of fire has been slightly increased
2 August 2013
- the durability str and con bonus now functions as intended
- druids lost bounty of nature, rite of dawn, wall of thorns, sunray, and moonray
- druids gained forage, swim, wall of vines, rite of the sun, and skycall
- the level at which many druid skills and spells are gained was adjusted
11 July 2013
- A fix for the disappearing item bug has been added. Please send a note to IMMORTAL if there are continuing problems.
- The AC helpfile now accurately reflects how AC works.
- AC damage reduction now applies to all damage, not just combat rounds.
- The 'score' AC descriptions have been expanded and now correspond to actual damage resistance levels.
- 'eq' now also shows most empty equipment slots.
- 'who' now shows the level and class of all players you can see.
- 'examine' now shows some information that could be previously be deduced by 'score' comparisons.
- Regular rumors about character advancement and achievements will now occur.
- The area of Nordath has been updated and there is no longer a curse penalty for dying there.
12 February 2013
- Rumors about the world and the recent activities of adventurers can be heard in various places. Some will even be true.
- A new sub-area of Kor Thrandir is now accessible.
- There is a policy update for sharing OOC info. See HELP OOCINFO.
- A Dwarf Fortress mod of Avendar is now available. See avendar.com/dfmod.php