Read the FAQ.
Welcome to Adventure!
Avendar: the Crucible of Legends is an text-based multi-user fantasy role-playing game.
Are you new to MUDs? If so, you'll find the experience of playing Avendar is like reading a novel--except you help to write the story! The fantasy world and its inhabitants are represented through descriptive text, and players interact through chat-like interfaces.
If you're a MUD veteran, you'll find Avendar to be an immersive MUD with both intense PK and deep RP, a dedicated staff and community, a second-to-none class system, and ongoing development since 1998.
Avendar will always be 100% free. Play now!
13 Feb 2013
* Rumors about the world and the recent activities of adventurers can be heard in various places. Some will even be true.
* A new sub-area of Kor Thrandir is now accessible.
* There is a policy update for sharing OOC info. See HELP OOCINFO.
* A Dwarf Fortress mod of Avendar is now available. See avendar.com/dfmod.php
26 April 2012
* Rangers have gained the following new skills: aggression, arrowcraft, maul, sidestep. See their respective helps for details.
* Rangers no longer receive fletch, apply barbs, or apply poison.
* Wildcraft has absorbed the functionality of fletch while creating arrows. See HELP WILDCRAFT.
* Rangers, watchers, bandits, and thieves no longer receive night vision.
* Sharp vision, detect hidden, and sixth sense have absorbed the functionality of night vision.
* Ranger skill progression has been adjusted.
* Trueshot can now slow down archery targets. See HELP TRUESHOT.
* Terrain lore is now more effective and its defense functions on more terrain. See HELP TERRAIN LORE.
* Showmanship is now more effective at blocking attacks.
* Flail is once again a barbarian weapon skill.
* Savagery now blocks more attacks, has had its duration increased, and no longer heals.
* Warcry will now heal the user when activated.
* Hew, bludgeon, and boneshatter should now work properly while wielding a one-handed weapon in both hands.
* Warpath is no longer acquired at 65%.
* Bloodlust will no longer activate when you die to self-damage.
* Dual wield should no longer have a chance to improve while using a one-handed weapon in both hands.
* You now cannot dual wield another weapon while using a one-handed weapon in both hands.
* Earth templars' devoted weapons will now only gain in power when they get additional percent gains.
* Dying to a factioned mob will reduce your faction hate with that faction.
* Rangers now get the retreat skill.
15 April 2012
* Barbarians have gained the following new skills: warpath, fortitude, ferocity, last word, rend. See related helps for more information.
* Barbarians now receive: lunge, night vision, cook, find water, disarm, swim, tan, wildcraft.
* Functionality has changed for: savagery, warcry, fury, grapple, rage, bludgeon, hew, boneshatter. See related helps for more information.
* Barbarians no longer receive: kick, shield block.
* Weapons can now be wielded in both hands if one so chooses. Syntax: wield <obj> twohand
* Stone phalanx will now be more effective pre-Devotion, and gain less from Devotion gains.
* Knock can now be used to both lock or unlock any container or door with a key.
* Continual light should now work properly.
* Slow cure spells can no longer be stacked for their on-tick effects.
* Search will succeed more often and incur less lag to attempt.
* Phantom clones of oneself waiting on their altar should be fixed.
* Whirl's effectiveness should now work as intended.
* Avatars can no longer circumvent healing restrictions with slow cure abilities.
* Bind weapon's disarm reduction should work more appropriately to the skill's description.
* "Perma-criminal" status has been removed from the game.
* Sacrifice's re-use delay echo should now be more appropriate.
* Stabilize no longer protects against bashes, but does protect against trip.
* Anchor now protects against bashing.
* Earth scholar now receives anchor.
For older changes, please see help CHANGES 2011, CHANGES 2010, CHANGES 2009,
OLDER CHANGES, etc.