See the FAQ for more information about the game, or click the button above to start your adventure now!
Welcome to Adventure!
Avendar is a 100% free, multi-user fantasy RPG experience. As you represent a character progressing from a youthful adventurer to a world power, you can explore the second-to-none original fantasy world setting, advance in the intricate class system, experience intense player vs. player action, and forge friendships and rivalries that will become legend!
Avendar has been open for play since 1998, with ongoing developments and improvements that make it distinct from any other RPG. We have a small but dedicated community and staff, and we welcome you to join us and begin your adventure today.
- Currently in Avendar: There are 2 characters (avg. level 51) adventuring now.
- Most recent advancement: Englazio has reached level 16 in his guild.
- Most recent death: Englazio has died recently.
- A recent rumor: Haedim the fighter was seen leaving the School of Heroes. I wonder what that chaja will make of himself.
13 March 2015
- Windrider now receives: girikha's breath
- Air/void now receives: darkstrike
- Air/spirit no longer receives: aurora, soul of the wind
- Air/spirit now receives: bilocation, well of chaos
- Air/water now receives: skirling blast
- Air/earth now receives: dune sorcerer, dust devil
- Chargestone has been renamed to fulgarite, and slightly modified
- Sandstorm now temporarily turns rooms to desert type
- Phantasm empowerments have been consolidated and the cooldowns somewhat reduced
- Feign demise is now more likely to fire pre-mastery (at 100% the odds are the same)
- Zeal now causes vuln_illusion
- Phaseshift now causes vuln_lightning
- Delusions now causes holy damage done by the victim to be reduced
- Gust can now push clinging fog
- Shockcraft now reduces lightning damage all the time, not just when charging
- Shockcraft's rate of discharge is now slower
- Breezestep is now partially effective even in no wind
- Curse of everchange causes an immediate teleport and a longer-lasting luck penalty
- Unleash twisters generates more twisters, which move faster
- Call upon winds (west) now offers improvements to mistral ward
- Hovering shield has been moved to minor air from air/earth
- Heatwave's penalties have been increased
- Incendiary spark now adds slightly more damage to flamestrike
- Mists of arcing now increases damage in the room itself
- Dancing sword weapons now show the weapon's damverb instead of "floating weapon"
- Dancing sword's duration has been matched to hovering shield's
- Added more spellbooks to the world
- Fixed a crashing bug with grave beat
- Fixed bug where channel wind could affect game bots
- Fixed some echoes/typos
8 March 2015
- Fixed another bug with word of recall and cursed-after-the-fact rooms
- Fixed a bug which could cause dead familiars to prevent summoning new ones
- Fixed a bug with form of the phantasm which prevented the bonus attack from the offhand
- Fixed a bug with baneblade which could cause random behavior including very weak hits, stripping enemy effects, and other oddities
- Significantly reduced the baneblade cooldown
- Archery has two new features, aim and autonock. See help AIM, ARCHERY, AUTONOCK for details.
- Added a new feature, unsheathe. See help UNSHEATHE for details.
- Wind surge has been renamed to surge
- Wind blast has been renamed to gale
- Air templars no longer receive: spear
- Air templars now receive: whirling dervish, sleeve wand, overcharge, delusions
- Form of the zephyr has been reworked. See help FORM OF THE ZEPHYR for details.
- Stationary mobs may now be shot with arrows down to 90% health, instead of just once
- Added prompt options for wind speed and direction. See help PROMPT for details.
6 March 2015
- Significantly reduced the casting lag of fadeshroud
- Significantly reduced the casting cost of fadeshroud
- Somewhat reduced the upkeep cost of fadeshroud
- Word of recall is now properly stopped by curses and other effects which take place after the casting began
- Fixed a bug that was causing eyeblight touch to modify saves
- Fixed a bug that was causing all non-aggro mobs to not attack PCs who had attacked them
- Fixed a bug with deathswarm that could cause charmies to attack the caster
- Fixed a bug with rob which made its odds of success very low
- Fixed a bug with jab which caused the offhand weapon to be used, even if invalid
- Added some spellbooks to the world
- Various minor fixes and typo corrections
27 February 2015
- Fixed a bug which allowed some void symbols to be inscribed with the wrong materials
- Removed the identify spell from all classes which got it
- Identify is now a command which may be used by anyone; see help IDENTIFY
- Removed the lore skill from all classes which got it
- Added trait, LOREMASTER, which grants the possessor the ability to see lore on items
- Bards and rangers now receive the loremaster trait for free at creation
- Added a new type of item, spellbooks, and a skill by the same name; see help SPELLBOOKS
- All scholars have been granted the spellbooks skill
26 February 2015
- Fixed a crashing bug with gloomward/darktallow
- Gloomward now gives perfect night vision at 1%
- Fixed a bug with unholy might which caused faster-than-intended karma degeneration
- Added a prompt option (%L) for seeing light/dark status of rooms. See help PROMPT.
25 February 2015
- Stonecraft should now properly cost mana and lag
- Studying demonic symbols no longer requires practices
- A new trait, mortician, has been added, which emulates the dissection skill
- Alchemists and void scholars now receive the mortician trait for free, but do not receive the dissection skill
- The void templar poison spell has been made more effective when used on weapons
- Minor void no longer receives: teleport, invisibility, detect invis, armor, protective shield, pass door, identify
- Minor void now receives: gloomward, fell purpose, darktallow, unholy might, black amulet, scrit of kaagn
- Major void no longer receives: pox, lesser demon summon, banish, tentacles, enfeeblement, demon summon, demonic control
- Major void now receives: shroudsight, witherpox, invisibility, pass door, harvest of souls, demilich, wreath of fear
- Greater void has been split into three paths: path of the necromancer, path of nightfall, path of the riven veil
- Path of the necromancer receives: corpsesense, revenant, barrowmist, grave beat, phylactery, bone reaper, deathswarm, direfeast
- Path of nightfall receives: fadeshroud, scion of night, duskfall, eyeblight touch, dread wave, call bat
- In addition, path of nightfall chooses three demon lords, each of which grants one skill
- Path of the riven veil receives: stasis rift, lesser demon summon, demon summon, greater demon summon, banish, suppress, demonic control, voidwalk, script mastery
- Void/water now receives: call toad, the embrace of the deeps, the ilal's last sailing, hemoplague
- Void/earth now receives: call serpent, crypthame, baneblade, grave maw
- Void/spirit now receives: call cat, puppetmaster, devour essence, parasitic bond
- Void/air now receives: call raven, fever winds, masquerade, fatebones
- Void/fire now receives: call fox, pain channel, barbs of althajji, focus fury
- The following skills have been modified: nightfears, curse, inscribe, cloak of the void, desecration, bless
- Please see the webpage and helpfiles for descriptions of the above
30-31 January 2015
- Hero Day is here! Normal play is suspended over the next day and half, and new characters will be created at maximum level so players new and old can check out our game mechanics and class abilities. Special events will be held throughout, so be sure to drop in and join in the fun.
19 January 2015
- Minimum size and weight restrictions should now correctly not apply to rune carving
- Sneaking should now allow for putting objects into containers silently, as it does with taking
- The outskirts of Earendam now have more activity
- One of the Living Waters somatic arts quests has been made a little easier
- Fixed numerous bugs with bilocation
- Fixed various minor bugs and typos