See the FAQ for more information about the game, or click the button above to start your adventure now!
Welcome to Adventure!
Avendar is a 100% free, multi-user fantasy RPG experience. As you represent a character progressing from a youthful adventurer to a world power, you can explore the second-to-none original fantasy world setting, advance in the intricate class system, experience intense player vs. player action, and forge friendships and rivalries that will become legend!
Avendar has been open for play since 1998, with ongoing developments and improvements that make it distinct from any other RPG. We have a small but dedicated community and staff, and we welcome you to join us and begin your adventure today.
- Currently in Avendar: There are 4 characters (avg. level 18) adventuring now.
- Most recent advancement: Volesk has reached level 11 in his guild.
- Most recent death: Tezehk has died recently.
- A recent rumor: Young Nimghuul is likely to make a name for herself soon. A promising chaja gladiator, the trainers say.
20 January 2014
- Fixed a crashing bug related to items progged to destroy themselves upon removal (such as the wolf's-head hood)
- Fixed a bug wherein mark of the kaceajka didn't work on unarmed mobs
- Fixed a bug causing arctic chill to penalize mana during cooldown
- Added a command 'oocreply'. Use it like reply, but for the OOC channel. See help OOCREPLY for full details.
- It is now possible to OOC someone who is sleeping.
- New areas have opened under the chasm in the dark caves by Kohlis.
- Kzroth, the demon lord has been reworked and moved to a new location.
- 'Bloodpyre' may now be used as a convenience command to list known bloodpyres
- The power and behavior of Focus Mind has changed somewhat; see help FOCUS MIND for details.
- Create Food has been moved to water major
- Glyph of Ulyon has been moved to water minor
- Holy Flame's behavior has completely changed; see help HOLY FLAME for details
- Bind Essence now requires and consumes two sources of quintessence instead of one.
- Some of the effects of Bind Essence on normal items have been slightly reduced; items created by Work Essence are unaffected
- Bind Essence on weapons no longer grants permanent consecrate; instead, it adds holy damage to the weapon
- Cinder Scry now shows the name of the area in addition to the room when listing fires
4 January 2014
- The save against blindness has been changed from type 'other' to type 'negative'
- Tweaked some echoes and fixed a number of bugs
- Water movement rules relaxed
- Minor and major water changed significantly
- Greater water has been split into three paths-- Living Waters, Waveborne, and Wintertide. Each has new skills and spells.
- Dual sphere water scholars now receive additional skills and spells
- Water templars receive a few new skills and had a few old ones change around
- Healing spells and some others have been numerically rebalanced
- For details on the above, see help recent, class webpages, rationale post on the forums, and various skill helpfiles
23 November 2013
- Life Bolt now has a mana cost
- Discern Iniquity should improve more slowly now
- Chant Litany should improve more slowly now
- Certain mobs involved in Golden Flames quests should now speak arcane rather than their racial language
- Invocation of Converu's cooldown was increased slightly
- The bonuses from Attune Fount were decreased slightly and spread out over a slightly larger number of founts
- Quintessence rush mana drain was increased
- Absolve spirit's mana restoration was decreased
- Fugue's cooldown was reduced slightly
- Molten shield now fires less often but for more damage
- Aegis of Grace's damage reduction was reduced slightly
- Fixed a bug which was causing spirit scholar foci to improve faster than intended
- Fixed a crashing bug with the sweep skill
- Fixed a bug preventing avatars of the lodestar from yelling
- Fire templars now get the warmth skill
- Characters now see effect details from level 1, rather than starting at level 20
- Word of Recall now requires some time to take effect-- see help WORD OF RECALL for details
9 November 2013
- Fixed miscellaneous typos, bugs with deflection and breaking psionicist maledictions, and bugs with heart of inferno and smoke
- Adjusted request so that it no longer hurts your karma (it still spends request points accrued from good behavior)
- Sleep regeneration rates were adjusted. See help POSITIONS for more info
- Adjusted various fire spells-- resistances with flameheart and aspect of inferno were adjusted and aspect of the inferno had several other changes. Blaze, conflagration, and blazing inferno do more damage but no longer stack damage.
- The Weave has been formalized into a true mechanic-- see help WEAVE for more
- Various shades, wraiths, ghosts, and phantoms now roam the earth, mostly invisibly but with occasional interactions with mortals.
- Minor and Major spirit spell sets have been adjusted significantly--some old spells were lost, some new spells were added, and most spells were adjusted. See their helpfiles for more info.
- The above change also spills over to the spells that spirit scholars and spirit templars share. Some templar spells were also renamed. See the class webpage to view changes.
- Greater spirit has been divided into three paths-- Weavedancer, Silver Light, and Eternal Dawn. Each has new skills and spells.
- Dual sphere spirit scholars now receive additional spells.
- See the class webpages, the rationale post on the forums, and the various helpfiles for all the details on the above.
16 September 2013
- Helpfiles with quotes in them (e.g., martyr's fire) should no longer be problematic
- Furniture (such as bedrolls) marked 'warm' should now help protect against the cold
- Fixed an alchemist crash bug
- Normalized the environmental damage numbers, which were skewed heavily towards cold. Temperate zones like Var Bandor should see less cold damage now.
- 'warm' items can now help cause you to overheat -- don't put on three fur coats in the Crimson Sands!
- Fixed a bug which had caused command weather to have an essentially random effect (and frequently no effect at all)
- Fixed a bug which was causing guildmasters to 'forget' skills which had apostrophes in them between reboots
- Changed 'practice' to not use quotes for multi-word skills. Note that using quotes won't work, excepting any quotes in the skill name itself. Example 1-- use [practice shiyul's fury] now, rather than [practice "shiyul's fury"]. Example 2; [practice third attack], NOT [p ractice 'third attack']
- Fixed a bug which caused fire scholars to not get re-titled immediately upon choosing a path, if a different title applied for the given path and level